Every time I create a new MPP, I ask this question to myself “How and where to start?”. I very well remember the first time I created a Microsoft project plan and I was struggling on strategy to put a plan in place. There was nobody to mentor me. It is very essential that we start right. Here is what I found very useful for me:
- Identify tasks and Create task list
- Create a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- Group the tasks based on functional or criteria in WBS
- Estimate every task in the WBS
- Then move all this information to Microsoft Project Plan or any other project management tool or you can even do step 1-4 inside the tool. I personally love to do with paper and pencil and then move it to software.
There is a very good tutorial on creating Microsoft Project Plan with the similar approach at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/create-a-project-plan-in-5-easy-steps-HA001136153.aspx
Rohit Prabhakar, PMP