In last few days I have compiled some information on SCRUM in separate articles. Here is the consolidation of all the links:
Scrum has been successfully used for projects with 500+ team members lots of time. As SCRUM can only last for 15 minutes and some other similar rules hence in order to scale the SCRUM for bigger team we can use SCRUM OF SCRUMS. Based on the type of work the scrum team is constituted for every 7 to 10 team members having a Scrum master and the Product Owner. After the first lever team SCRUMS we have SCRUM of SCRUMS and there could also be more level of SCRUM OF SCRUMS.
I have listed all these and also linked them to wiki as it has one of the very good definitions and details about every agile methodology.
Once I am done with the Scrum series I will touch the other ones. Hope this helps!
Other facts about Scrum
- The scrum methodology originated in 1993 at Easel Corp by Jeff Sutherland
- Ken Schwaber presented Scrum at OOPSLA 96 with Sutherland
- Ken Schwaber and Mike Cohn Co-founded Scrum Alliance in 2002
- Used by all major companies like Microsoft, Yahoo, IBM, Siemens, John Deere, Time Warner, Turner Broadcasting, BBC and many more..
- Used for software projects, life critical system, mobile phones, websites, Satellite controlled soft wares, support projects
Sprint Planning Meeting
- Planning must be done at the beginning of every sprint cycle.
- Team selects items from the product backlog they can commit to completing
- Sprint backlog is created by the entire team.
- Tasks are identified and each is estimated (1-16 hours)
- Collaboratively, not done alone by the ScrumMaster
- An Eight hour limit applies to this meeting. During the 1st 4 hrs The Product owner and team prioritizes the product backlog and later only team plans the sprint and creates the Sprint Backlog.
- Time limit: 8 hrs
Daily Scrum (Daily Standup) Meeting
Daily Scrum is more like a daily project status meeting which is very short and nothing other than the status can be discussed. The following are the key characteristics of Scrum.
- Daily and starts precisely on time.
- Daily Scrum must happen at same location and every working day at same time
- Only Scrum Master and Team members can speak (anyone can join)
- Not for problem solving (no discussions on reasons/approach etc.)
Everyone answers 3 questions and the Scrum Master documents this:
- What have you done since yesterday?
- What are you planning to do today?
- Anything in the way (issues/concerns). The resolution cannot be discussed in the Scrum. It should be discussed after.
- Time limit: 15-minutes
The Sprint Review Meeting
- Outcome of the sprint is reviewed. What is completed and what is left.
- A demo is provided of the completed work only.
- Team and anyone from outside can participate (Open House)
Time limit: 4 hours.
Sprint Retrospective Meeting
- This meeting is for identifying and implementing continuous process improvements
Two questions are asked:
- What went well in the Sprint?
- What could be improved in next Sprint?
- The outcome is what to Start / Stop / Continue.
- This is attended by team, ScrumMaster and Product Owner.
- Time limit: 3 hrs
I would suggest the following changes to your eclipse environment. Please go to the eclipse shortcut and open the properties. In the Target just after the path to the .exe copy the machine specific arguments.
RECOMMENDED ARGUMENTS (you can play with the exact numbers based on your machine configuration)
-vmargs -Xms512m -Xmx512m -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m
RAM 2 GB
Scrum has 3 type of roles
A Product Owner compiles all the changes planned for the product and prioritizes the possible functionalities. - “Scrum in five minutes” by SOFTHOUSE
- Product Owner defines the features of the product and also sets the priority
- Product Owner decides the release date and content of the product
- Product Owner is
Characteristics of Scrum
- Scrum is one of the
Scrum is a simple agile development methodology through which we can manage complex projects. Scrum allows rapidly and repeated inspection of actual working product (at least once a month or twice) hence provides ability for the project to adapt to rapidly changing market and other complex external factors. The focus of the scrum methodology is to deliver the highest business value of the project in the shortest possible time.
The best part of Scrum for product development is the requirement to demonstrate a real working product every two weeks or once a month helps the management and team to take a calculated decision for the project and product’s future at a regular and a shorter interval. Hence scrum gives the ability to adjust with the competitive market and also to take go-or-no-go decision well in time hence saving lots of resources.