A must read blog by Heidi Grant Halvorson at Harvard Business Review. The following are the 9 things:
- Get specific.
- Seize the moment to act on your goals.
- Know exactly how far you have left to go.
- Be a realistic optimist.
- Focus on getting better, rather than being good.
- Have grit.
- Build your willpower muscle.
- Don’t tempt fate.
- Focus on what you will do, not what you won’t do.
- Few weeks ago, I got a chance to talk to one of very successful CEO, mutli-millionaire and a visionary. I requested if he can share a key lesson learnt from his experience in his journey of success that can help me. After gathering his thoughts quickly he was humble enough to share two key lessons from his life.
- Weekly Self Assessment of things well done!
- Change as soon as you find things are not working.
The following is how I understood these 2 lessons:
- Sometime every week we should regularly asses our self for not only what we did wrong but especially what did we did right. Once we get into a habit of this we can know what we can continue doing for better and better results. As with time with things working well we forget the basics. This is all about keeping the basics that made the things go North. It is all about persistence and the power of compounding.
- As soon as you find things are not working as expected, change the factors in the equation. It is all about facing the challenge face-on and not delaying it to further time in a hope that it may get resolved on its own.